Boxed is one of a handful of WordPress websites that I’ve set up to demonstrate some of the different formats that can be achieved using my favourite WordPress theme, GeneratePress with its Premium modules.
Please note that this is an affiliate link, as described on my Privacy and Cookie Notice page. I am happy to recommend GeneratePress and you can find out why it’s my favourite theme by reading my blog post “Flexible, Customisable WordPress Themes“.
The Boxed site demonstrates the following:
- colours and fonts set using GeneratePress Premium’s customiser options
- the “separate containers” layout
- different backgrounds for the body and content areas of the site
- blog posts with a masonry grid layout
- a navigation menu on the side of the page.
The layout of the site is inspired by the “Sider” GeneratePress site which uses CSS code to move the navigation menu to the side. The easiest and quickest way for you to build this kind of website from scratch might be to install Sider as a starting point. However, for this exercise, I chose to use some of Sider’s code in my site’s additional CSS area, as I will describe later in this post.
- This first article explains how I set up and customised the website and then added code copied from the “Sider” site to move the navigation menu.
- Part two will be about using the FooGallery and Smart Slider 3 plugins to add galleries and a slideshow.