Are you trying to build your own website because you can’t justify the cost of hiring someone, but it’s not turning out to be as easy as you’d hoped? Paying a professional website designer might give you the best results, but it isn’t a realistic option for everyone.
Maybe you could do with some guidance and a helping hand.
I’ve set up a closed Facebook group where a small number of people who are new to building websites can encourage and support each other.
I act as a kind of mentor to the group – giving advice, answering questions and pointing people in the direction of online resources that can help them. I’m not claiming to be an expert, but you can see some of the websites I’ve built in my portfolio.
I can’t promise to be able to answer all your questions, but I hope to be able to guide you so that you don’t become overwhelmed by conflicting and confusing advice.
- Only simple WordPress, Weebly and Squarespace websites are covered. Of these three, I have the most experience with WordPress, but could give some advice regarding the other two platforms. If you decide to build a site with WIX, I’ll give you what help I can but I haven’t yet tried it myself.
- Blogs, contact forms and photo galleries can be included, but I can’t help you with E-commerce (online shopping) or complicated applications.
- Advanced topics such as Google analytics and SSL certificates won’t be covered in any depth.
- If you build a WordPress site with my preferred theme (GeneratePress) or a straightforward theme from the WordPress theme directory, then I can offer more help than if you use one of the more complex themes / frameworks (such as Divi or Genesis).
- Please be aware that future participants may be able to view past discussions.
If you are interested, please send a request to join the Facebook group. There’s a limited number of places available and not all projects will be suitable, so please don’t be offended if you are not chosen to take part.