I’ve set up a closed Facebook group offering guidance, encouragement and a helping hand to a small number of people who are new to building websites.
If you’d rather not discuss your plans in a group setting, then I’m also prepared to offer one-to-one support via email or Facebook messages.
The idea is that I act as a kind of mentor – giving advice, answering questions and pointing people in the direction of online resources that can help them. I never claim to be an expert, and I can’t promise to answer all your questions, but I hope to be able to guide you so that you don’t become overwhelmed by conflicting and confusing advice.
There are usually several different ways to solve any website related problem. I’ll tell you what I would do if I was in your situation, but it’ll be just my opinion and you’ll take my advice at your own risk.
I should make it clear that I’m not offering a 24/7 support service. This is something I do as a favour to help people out, as and when I can spare the time.
- Only simple WordPress, Weebly and Squarespace websites are covered. Of these three, I have the most experience with WordPress, but may be able to give some advice regarding the other two platforms.
- Blogs, contact forms and photo galleries can be included, but I can’t help you with E-commerce (online shopping) or complicated applications.
- Advanced topics such as email, Google analytics, SSL certificates and GDPR compliance, won’t be covered in any depth.
- If you build a WordPress site with my preferred theme (GeneratePress) or a straightforward theme from the WordPress theme directory, then I can offer more help than if you use one of the more complex themes / frameworks (such as Divi or Genesis).
- Please be aware that future participants may be able to view past discussions.
If you are interested, please contact me or send a request to join the Facebook group. There’s a limited number of places available and not all projects will be suitable, so please don’t be offended if I’m not able to help.
I don’t charge for my help, but if you have found my advice useful and you feel you’d like to (particularly if I’ve spent a lot of time on your project), then you can “buy me a cup of tea” using the Paypal button below.
If you need me to actually carry out a task for you, as opposed to suggesting ways you could do it yourself, then I will charge for my services on a case-by-case basis, depending on how long the job takes. My hourly rate is low – for example, a small task that takes me under half an hour will cost you around £10. Some things will take much longer and I’ll charge accordingly.